Thursday, December 23, 2010

Visit to Mongop High School After 13 years

Mongop High School is a catholic educational institution located along the Buluminski highway of New Ireland Province in Papua New Guinea. This high school has been a premier educational institution in the early 60s through to the 90s and I was privilege to have graduated from this school in 1997.

Saying goodbye to the school and the province as it is commonly known as “Bilas Peles” in order to further my education and eventually find employment was a sad moment but with hope that one day I will return as an adult to see the place again.

13 years later, on December 18th 2010 I finally return for a weekend visit to the school together with my noble family – the chapaus.

I took my family and we walked down memory lane as I showed them my grade nine classroom, went into my grade 10 classroom and showed them where I used to sit in class. We saw the dormitory from a distance and walked down to the student Mess, the very place as a prefect on duty I would silence the student population and lead the prayer before meal.

It is sad to admit the fact that the state of the school infrastructures has gone beyond accepted building conditions. Also heard from people in the area that the school has been forced to closed mid-year and students did not graduate in the recent past. A sad fact knowing that a once premier institution can reach this state and a young dream in the making for a bright New Irelander as gone to dust.

We enjoyed our tour of the school and regardless of its current state and condition I proudly hold my heads high and thankful for this institution have played a part in shaping my future and even happier that my two kids and their mummy have walked down memory lane with me.





Local tourist to mongop high is
Tawali, Pondros and Jerry
our tour guide








Pisiolle, Christopher and their
Mum with the School Dining hall
behind them.











Walkway to that grade 10 classroom used in 1997.









That is the School administration office










Pisiolle infront of the Science Lab building











Boys domitory, my room away from home.










This is the school library












Famous school canteen










School Chapel. also used for graduation and other big school events.











My grade 9 classroom, still the same since I last saw it.





2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this tour of your old school. It is a shame that things like that suffer age and neglect. My old high school simply does not exist any more. I sometimes get bits of information about some of the students, but that's all.

    We move on.

    DB
    Vagabond Journeys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks DB for the comment, yeh you're right life as to go on..

    ReplyDelete